Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ANOTHER DAY AT THE PLASTIC SURGEON...

Well, it is a new week and the theme for the week is that LIFE GOES ON in a big way.  Wayne went back to work Monday and I have a sick child with a stomach bug.   I have been at the high school everyday for one thing or another regarding my other child and running a few errands here and there. I woke up Monday really feeling uncomfortable and I called the office to see if everything was OK because I was worried that I was swelling too much with the drains out.  Polly, the nurse at the plastic surgeon's office, reassured me that it was OK if I wasn't running a temperature or feeling poorly.  They would check everything out on Tuesday morning when I went there for my first tissue expansion.  I had to take a VICODIN and I haven't had to do that since last Wednesday.  A big thank you to my mom for helping me as I couldn't really even drive on Monday due to the tightness.  I still am unable to push, pull, lift or carry any weight at all. 

Wayne was off on Tuesday and we went to the plastic surgeon's office for my first tissue expansion.  I am so glad I woke up feeling alot better.  It is such a beautiful day today...being in the 60's...that always helps everyone feel better.  I always play a game with myself in the waiting room just wondering what the people sitting in the waiting room are having done...especially if it isn't obvious.  It helps to pass the time away.  The doctor told me he put 270 cc in during surgery and they were going to put in 60 more cc today.  I kinda' feel like the barbie--Growing Up Skipper.  Do you remember what happens when her arm goes around?  It didn't even hurt because my skin is numb and they did both sides at the same time so that was easy.  They said they wanted to get to 500-550 cc! So far, I have 330 cc so I am more than halfway there.  YEA! They said the extra fluid would probably take care of itself with the expansion but they would check it next time--it didn't need aspirating at this time. They said that somedays are worse than others...maybe when you do too much the day before?  Well, Sunday was a big day--installation service of Greg Markesberry with my dad's last Sunday being the senior minister.  We also ate out on Sunday...I was tired when we got home and I did rest but I guess it was more than I thought physically and emotionally.

Well...my next appointment is next Thursday for my next tissue expansion.  I am a little more uncomfortable but it isn't bad. They want me to try to only use advil for pain relief now because it is an anti-inflammatory. I will try to go to sleep tonight without Percocet...we will see what happens!  Maybe 1/2 of one??  Ha

I did hear some very good news today...my friend, Jackie, comes home from the hospital tomorrow.  She has been there for about three weeks for her third stem cell transplant and chemotherapy.  She has had a bacterial infection and her throat has been killing her so bad she has needed morphine for the past several days...It will be so good to see her--her counts are way up and she is getting out earlier than expected!  GOD ANSWERS PRAYER! 

We can't thank people enough for all the support you are giving us...the cards, emails, flowers, visits, and gentle "side hugs"!  It is overwhelming to Wayne and I and my kids like everyone else's cooking better than mine...they will have a hard time adjusting back to mom's cooking! 

3 comments:

  1. YAY! SO glad things seem to be going well with exception to the little bits of pain and whatnot...that seems to be normal no? You are cracking me up with that game you play! Question...you were cancer free so I was just wondering why you still had to have a mastectomy...I may have missed your explanation of it somewhere...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, just checking in! I will be thinking of you today as it looks like in this post that you have another visit planned. Text me afterward if you can or I will just check for updates here, OK? I hope you are much more comfortable now.
    Love,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, never mind...Just re-read your post and it is NEXT Thursday when you go back. I need MUCH more coffee this morning! Bye :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for checking out my blog...I would love to hear from you...